Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gleanings from a Worship Conference

I was able to attend the Better Way to Worship conference at Charis Bible College the last few days.  It was a great time of reflection, revelation from the Holy Spirit and inspiration for the future.  These are the main things I learned about worship, people and myself.



1) I cry alot when I feel the Spirit.  WAY more than what makes me comfortable.

2) I love to watch genuine people dance before the Lord.  Although most of these people seem to be over the age of 45.  This tells me that people younger (me being in this age group) take ourselves too seriously to relax and look stupid in front of other people.  I am trying to get there.  I dance with Jesus alone, why can't I do this in public?

3) Music was created before the human race.

4) Music is powerful in both melody and lyrics.  I already knew this, but the songs I heard this week really reminded me of their power.

5) Lyrics are so important.  You can teach theology through lyrics of worship songs.  The correct theology should always be centered around God's goodness, mercy, love and Jesus power, authority and source of life.

6) Worship Songs that are modern are not more spiritual than old songs.  Although I am not a huge fan of old Pentecostal songs or many hymns, I appreciate that it is the message and heart behind the song and not the style.

7)  It was scary how many people couldn't clap in time with the music at a worship conference.  :)

8) I must learn Music Theory (the only class I completely flunked out of- seriously we are talking 45%  I just could wrap my brain around it in college).  But was introduced to a software program that will teach you like an interactive college course.  This will not only help me play and sing better, but write better music.

9) AND THIS IS MY FAVORITE!!!  When Jesus returns and we are in eternity with the Lord, there will be no need for Apostles, Pastors, Teachers, Prophets, and Evangelists...but worship will remain.  Forever.

10) The Holy Spirit is the best teacher.  When you are writing a song with the Holy Spirit you are pulling a song out of heaven one piece at a time (like a puzzle) and you are trying to figure out how the pieces go together.  Don't throw any pieces away just because you don't know where it fits yet.

No comments: