Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Happiest Place on Earth

We just returned from a family vacation to California.  It was really nice just going where ever we wanted, eating when ever we wanted...just doing things on a whim.

Part of our vacation was Disneyland, and I admit I was just as excited as the boys.  It has been many years since Josh and I visited California, and we had never been to Disneyland.

Well, sometimes living with myself is a bit exhausting...  I wish I would not over analyze every little thought or emotion that floats into my head.  But I couldn't take a break from it, even on vacation.

All I could see was the castle being smaller than I thought.  I saw chipping paint, and squeaky rides.  This so called "Happiest Place on Earth" was just a farce, a distraction from life.  I understand there is nothing wrong with some fun and frivolity, but there is no fulfillment to be had.  You can meet all your favorite characters, buy t-shirts and Mickey ears; but you will leave just as empty as when you came.  And your wallet will be emptier as well.  :)

Now please don't misunderstand me: I am not down on Disney.  I enjoy their movies, and I loved watching our boys get so excited when they rode their favorite ride, and I even sucommed to the Disney "magic" from time to time.   All I am saying is that there is only One place to find true fulfillment.  Everything else is a momentary distraction (positive or negative).

My last thought on this: We stayed late for "World of Color" at California Adventure Park the night before we left.  It is a light and water show, that is pretty spectacular.  But all I could think of as the crowd cheered was that God was the one who invented light and color.  And as I clapped, I was clapping for His magnificence, His splendor, His beauty.  He, the only One in which I have found purpose and true Love.

No comments: